Rat and Mouse Control with RatX® and MouseX®
Are rats ravaging your property? Whether the rat infestation is indoors or outdoors, we’re here to help. Our rat and mouse control experts at EcoClear Products answer some of the most frequently asked questions about rat control and prevention. Learn more about the full line of eco-friendly RatX® and MouseX® rodenticides from our team!
How to Use RatX® and MouseX® to Get Rid of Rats and Mice Inside Your Home
RatX® and MouseX® rodenticides can be used to effectively lure and exterminate rats within a home or business. Follow these steps for best results:
- Read all instructions on packaging before beginning treatment.
- Remove all potential food sources around target area before placing product.
- Portion the proper amount of RatX® or MouseX® pellets into small cling wrap bags. (You can also use pre-portioned RatX® or MouseX® Ready Trays or RatX® Bait Discs to skip the measuring.) Use 40-60 grams or 1-1/2 to 2 ounces for rats.
- Place filled cling wrap bags (or RatX® Bait Discs/RatX® or MouseX® Ready Trays) in areas where you have observed rodent activity (10 feet apart in areas with mild to moderate infestations; 5 feet apart with large infestations). If possible, insert RatX® or MouseX® into rat holes and runs.
- To ensure maximum effectiveness, keep RatX® pellets and disks dry and continue to bait until rat activity ceases. Rats are incredibly resilient, and prolific procreators — don’t underestimate the amount of them on your property. Continue to refill target locations until pellets are no longer eaten. An indicator of rat consumption will be fecal droppings bleached in color and up to 3 times larger than normal rat droppings.
How to Use RatX® and MouseX® to Get Rid of Rats and mice Outdoors
If you’re dealing with a rat or mouse infestation outside of your home or business, we have good news. RatX® and MouseX® products work outdoors too. To maximize effectiveness on your grounds, follow these steps:
- Read instructions on RatX® or MouseX® product before starting treatment.
- Look for all other potential sources of food and remove them from the target outdoor area before placing product.
- Portion the proper amount of RatX® or MouseX® pellets into small cling wrap bags. (You can also use pre-portioned RatX® or Mouse® Ready Trays or RatX® Bait Discs to skip the measuring.) Use 40-60 grams or 1-1/2 to 2 ounces for rats.
- Place product in outdoor areas where rat activity has been observed. If possible, place RatX® or MouseX® into rat holes and runs. Moisture reduces product effectiveness, so try to keep pellets and/or discs as dry as possible.
- Continue to refill baited areas until rat and mouse activity ceases and pellets/discs are no longer eaten. Many property owners underestimate the amount of rats on their property and stop treatment prematurely, which often results in rapid rat repopulation. An indicator of rat or mouse consumption will be fecal droppings bleached in color and up to 3 times larger than normal rat droppings.
What Is Rat Control?
Rat control is the systematic removal and prevention of invasive rat pests. Rat removal can be executed using traps or chemical bait exterminators. (Read more about rat killer products below.) Prevention can be achieved through proper property care and routine inspection.
Which Rat Killers Are Safe For Pets and Wildlife?
Humane extermination isn’t the only thing that sets RatX® and MouseX® rodenticides apart. While rat poisons (including those that contain anticoagulants, bromethalin, cholecalciferol, or zinc phosphide) can be deadly if ingested by humans or other animal species, RatX® and MouseX® rodenticides are 100%-safe for humans and non-rodent pets and outdoor wildlife.
Is there a Rat Killer That Kills Without Leaving a Smell?
Common rodenticides may be effective at killing rats — but they don’t do much about the odor that inevitably surfaces after rats crawl away and die within your walls, floors, or outdoors. The active ingredients in RatX® and MouseX® cause a mummification process within rodents’ bodies, causing bodies to dry out and reducing odor by as much as 90% when compared with other rodenticides. No need to plug your nose when using RatX® and MouseX® Products.
Which Rat Killer is Effective Without Secondary Kills or Poisoning?
Unlike rat poisons, which can be deadly if directly ingested or secondarily ingested by humans or other animals, RatX® and MouseX® products are 100% safe for people, pets and wildlife.
How to Know If You Have a Rat Infestation
Common indications of rat infestations include gnaw or scratch marks on food items and furniture, gnawing and scratching sounds in walls and ceilings, droppings, and rodent sightings.
What are the Implications of Rat Infestations
Rat infestations pose serious health risks to humans and pets. Diseases directly transmitted by rats include Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, leptospirosis, rat-bite fever, and salmonellosis. Diseases indirectly transmitted by rats include Colorado tick fever, the plague, and cutaneous leishmaniasis. If left untreated, rat infestations can also cause serious structural damage to properties of all sizes.
How Do Rat Killers Work?
Many of today’s rat poisons use anticoagulants to kill rats. Anticoagulants take away the blood’s ability to clot, leading to internal bleeding and eventual death. Though effective, rodenticides that use anticoagulants are considered relatively inhumane. Plus, these chemicals can be deadly when ingested by humans and other wildlife species, making them incredibly risky for use indoors and outdoors.
RatX® and MouseX® rodenticides take a different approach. Formulated using naturally-derived ingredients, they attract rats through scent and taste. Once ingested, active ingredients coat the rat’s stomach lining, blocking all messages sent from the stomach to the brain. This causes the rat to stop eating and drinking, leading dehydration and eventual circulatory failure. For the rat, this process feels like nothing more than falling asleep.
What is the Cost of Rat Removal?
Hiring a professional exterminator to take care of your rat infestation can cost you hundreds to thousands of dollars. Using traditional rodenticides may leave you saddled with more problems than you had before begin treatment. With RatX® and MouseX® products, eco-friendly and highly-effective rat control is achievable for less than cost of groceries. Use our Store Locator to find an EcoClear Products retailer near you.